Saturday 10 October 2015

WEEK 3 - Topic 2: History Of Life Part II and Topic 3: Classification

REFLECTIVE JOURNAL WEEK 3 

Hello readers, 

History of Life Part II 




This topic is likely to classify each living things in this world with their own specific characteristics. Sincerely, I've been learning this topic in my previous matriculation college which is under Biodiversity's chapter. I think the essences from this topic in my matriculation level is more profound compared to this course, Cell and Development Biology. So it's quite easy for me to learn about biodiversity because of the previous knowledge i have. 

However, speak on behalf of me it's hard to memorize all the divisions and classifications of living things with all the scientific name of organisms makes me even more confused sometimes. So, the lecture notes given in putrablast is easier for us to understand and good for students because of the various pictures provided. We were likely tends to remember for each division of living things easily. Moreover, in the class the itself also we were taught by using the concept map which is more effective to learn. 





Beside that, i also sometime refers to my lecture notes in previous matriculation college that appropriate to the university syllabus which provides the classification of kingdoms in box diagram. 



Furthermore, I have used the simplest acronyms to memorize the sequence of the kingdoms. 

    
There is some sub unit of the topic which is phylogenetics that is new for me. It is presented by cladogram. At first, i did not understand how was the derivation of each branch that called clade. So, i have to make my own research then I've go through a web and I clearly understood
http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/reading-a-phylogenetic-tree-the-meaningof-4195-6  
it has been stated that: 
"a diagram that depicts the lines of evolutionary descent of different species, organisms, or genes from a common ancestor. phylogenies are useful for organizing knowledge of biological diversity, for that occurred during evolution."   

Next for topic 3, the class have did the grouping activities including the SCL activity. Each of the group have to do the concept map of the Origin of Life and Classification. My group were actively discussed with each other and get into small conflict about the sequences origin of life. So, we have to make some research on the internet to convince the answers. Therefore, the picture's below shows the flow of the sequence of Origin of Life of my group.

 


Cheers, 
Nurul Syafiqah Azhar-published on 101015;0304pm 





No comments:

Post a Comment